Honey Rice and Fig Cakes
Recipe Type: Snack
Small Rice Cakes for Cycling
- 2 cups uncooked calrose rice or other medium-grain “sticky” rice
- 1½ cups water
- 1 cup toasted pecans
- 1 cup chopped dried figs
- 2 tablespoons honey
- brown sugar (optional)
- Combine rice and water in a rice cooker.
- To toast the nuts: Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the pecans on a baking sheet and toast 8–10 minutes, stirring after 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked rice, pecans, and figs.
- Add the honey and stir thoroughly.
- Press mixture into an 8- or 9-inch square pan to about 1½-inch thickness and sprinkle with brown sugar, if desired
- Cut and wrap individual cakes.
- To make a more compact rice cake, place the rice, pecans, and figs in the food processor and pulse the mixture several times to combine.
Serving size: 1 Cake Calories: 268 Fat: 10g Carbohydrates: 41g Sodium: 20mg Fiber: 3g Protein: 6g
From Feed Zone Portables, p.95.