Beef & Sweet Potato Pockets
Recipe Type: Pie
Tasty Beef Pockets for Quick Mid Ride Snacks
- Pie Crust:
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 8 oz grass-fed ground beef
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed (~1 cup)
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups organic brown rice, cooked
- ~3 cups organic chicken stock (for cooking rice, instead of using water)
- To make the pie crust: Pulse together flour, salt and cinnamon in a food processor. Add butter and blend until butter pieces are no longer visible. Transfer mixture to large bowl and add cold water gradually, using hands or spatula to turn the dough and mix. Add more water or flour, as necessary, until dough takes shape. Divide dough into 12 portions, forming into balls. Wrap dough and chill (30 minutes in the freezer, or at least one hour in the refrigerator.
- To make filling: Cook ground beef over medium-high heat until browned. Drain excess fat. Cooked cubed sweet potato in microwave until tender, about 3-5 minutes. Combine beef and sweet potatoes in a bowl and add soy sauce, brown sugar, red wine vinegar, kosher salt, and cinnamon. Mix until evenly combined and then fold in rice.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat muffin tin with canola oil.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and roll out each ball of dough, on a lightly floured surface, until it is big enough to fit in the form and fold back over the filling. Transfer dough to muffin forms, gently pressing into place and letting excess dough hang over edges. Place enough of the filling mixture into the dough pocket to be level with the top of the muffin tin. Fold excess dough over filling and gently press together to form a seal.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until crust turns golden